Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Citizen Soldier Law Trust a Veteran
  • Veteran Owned and Operated Law Firm
  • ~
  • Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances

Air force personnel & correcting military records

Eligibility For Correction Of Military Records

In most cases, the applicant is a member or former member of the Air Force, since the request is personal to the applicant and relates to his or her military records. An applicant with a proper interest may request correction of another person’s military records when that person is incapable of acting on his or her own behalf, is missing, or is deceased. Depending on the circumstances, a child, spouse, parent or other close relative, an heir, or a legal representative (such as a guardian or executor) of the member or former member may be able to show a proper interest. Applicants will send proof of proper interest with the application when requesting correction of another person’s military record.

Forms and Publications Used to Correct Military Records

Download and fill out the DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record. On the back of the DD Form 149 is the address where you need to submit the application. Original signature is required.

  • Air Force Pamphlet 36-2607, Applicant’s Guide to the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records
  • Air Force Instruction 36-2603, Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records

If your contention involves a medical issue, you must also fill out a consent to release your medical records from the Veterans Administration. You must fill out a VA Form 10-5345.pdf, Request for and Authorization to Release Medical Records or Health Information sign and attach to the DD Form 149.

My Options If The Evaluation Reports and Appeals Board Disapproves My Appeal

If your application is disapproved, and you are unable to gather new information as required by the Evaluation Reports and Appeals Board, you may then apply under the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records Appeals process by submitting a DD Form 149 and following procedures outlined in AFI 36-2603, Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation